Cowboy tradesmen ruin the reputation of all plumbers.
Especially as it’s easy for a customer to tar every plumber with the same brush. So how can you prove to your customers that you’re not a cowboy plumber who isn’t just going to take all their money and ride off into the sunset?
Well here are our top five tips to prove you’re not a cowboy!
- Professional looking plumbers’ invoicing and paperwork – You’ll be surprised how professional looking estimates, quotes and invoices can all help your image when it comes to dealing with current and potential customers. The fact that it does look professional gives you an instant boost in their eyes, and makes you much easier to trust.
- Getting back to customers’ phone call in a timely manner – This doesn’t mean that you have to down tools for every customer call. But by setting yourself a limit of when to get back to a customer can help you stay on track. Customers also will easily worry if their calls aren’t answered.
- Use testimonials – If you’re proud of a piece of work you’ve done, or if a customer is, take pictures and get a testimonial! Sending these out with a potential estimate or quote will do wonders for you and your business, and prove that you’re a hard working and dedicated plumber.
- Get yourself online – You don’t have to pay for an expensive website, use free social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter to set up a place on the internet for you and your company. Even if you’re not very good at updating them, it’ll give you a good place to put pictures of work you’re doing/done, and a place where customers can get peace of mind. If you’re searchable on the internet, potential customers are far more likely to feel comfortable in employing your services.
- Take advantage of word of mouth – We’ve seen it time and time again. Customers often ask friends if they know a good plumber/electrician/builder/you name it to come round and do work on their home. This is possibly on of the most powerful ways to avoid being labelled as a con man/woman. Use this to your advantage by offering your customers incentives to recommend you to their friends. Get business cards printed out so they can easily pass on your details. Offer money off any further work if you get customers through recommendation.
These are just 5 simple ways to make sure you’re not labelled as a cowboy plumber. Try any, or all of them and you’ll definitely see a difference in a customers’ decision to hire you.
Got any tips of your own? Let us know!