Whether you’re a sparky who’s seen everything or new to the game here is a refresher to invoicing.
Invoicing. It’s that painful piece of paperwork for any job, so we’ve put together a simple list for you to know exactly what you SHOULD include, and some are what you MUST include on your electricians invoices.
Here is what you SHOULD include –
- Presentation – Gone are the days where a hand written invoice is the norm. customers appreciate a well presented piece of paperwork, and it gives a great impression of your company (along with the good work of course). You can easily set up a template in Word to help you save a bit of time doing this, or of course signing up to YourTradeBase for a 30 day free trial!
- A company email address – They’re easy to set up, it gives one contact point for your customers to email, and you look professional – all from a free email account!
- Your payment details – Not only does this speed up the process of payment for you, but again gives the impression of a well oiled machine that is your business.
- Logo – It doesn’t have to be fancy, but you’d be surprised at how much of an impression this makes on your customers.
- Due date of payment – It shows you mean business, and you run your company like one too. So make sure you clearly set out a proper payment schedule to each and every one of your customers (even if it’s a standard one you blanket use for all of them).
If you’re VAT registered here is what you MUST include –
- The amount of VAT on each line of the invoice and the VAT rate charge
- The total amount of VAT on the invoice and the rate of VAT applied to all items
- Your VAT number
- If you’re a limited registered company you MUST include your company name
- The time of supply (also known as tax point) if this is different from the invoice date
A bonus sparky tip –
And here is just one last tip for you – stick the 5 MUST include rules for your invoices on a post-it note (if you’re VAT registered), and put it somewhere on your desk. So the next time your invoicing for a client you can easily whip it out and know exactly what you need to include!
We’ve got sparky’s covered with our electricians software packages. Try YourTradeBase free for 30 days.